Wednesday, September 30, 2009

That the laws which exist today had some justification when they were enacted, and while it is rather natural for people to want change one shouldn't necessarily assume that the laws are just so for oppressing. Oppression of course isn't just the inability to do what one desires, that is suppression of freedom. Oppression is forcing others to do what you want. Either can be manifested internally and externally. Suppression of freedom is the limiting of individual freedom with the intention of optimizing overall freedom. Overall freedom is the sum of all individual freedom which does not infringe upon the freedoms of others. That which does not infringe upon the freedoms of others is that freedom which is not in direct conflict with another freedom. A freedom is in conflict with another if that freedom requires the limitation of the other freedom. It is a conflict because one individual's freedom is equal to another individual's freedom and neither can be said to be over than the other. However, noted here that overall freedom is indeed in conflict with individual freedom, yet noted also that the conflict is of a different type where overall freedom is more than an individual freedom and therefore of potential to be over in importance.

No comments:

About Me

I've stopped ageing after 20, by choice. I don't see any value in it. Age isn't a measure of time for me but of wisdom. In that regard, I hold a lot of respect for people much younger than me, in time, but who know and do so much more than me. I respect them and I yearn to learn from them.