Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I miss her terribly today. But that is all I will say about that.

This particular support for Roman Polanski bothers me. Someone in conversation raised the issue of the trial of Oscar Wilde. And a weird thought occurred to me.
There are discrepancies in Roman's case, legally speaking. Perhaps the prosecution and maybe even the judge had ulterior motives - a solid argument could be made for that. There may even be doubt of him raping a minor but there really is no doubt of him having sex with a minor.
The way some of his supporters go from there is insinuating (never directly stating) that sex with a minor is a society dictated norm and not a natural norm or not a norm that is consistent among human beings.
What seems to me to be happening is that once it begins to be designated as a society dictated norm and since societies are constantly changing this line of thought provides a direction for a change.
But while people call society dictated norms negatively shouldn't one wonder that this norm existed in response to a situation. That it was enacted not merely to oppress people.

No comments:

About Me

I've stopped ageing after 20, by choice. I don't see any value in it. Age isn't a measure of time for me but of wisdom. In that regard, I hold a lot of respect for people much younger than me, in time, but who know and do so much more than me. I respect them and I yearn to learn from them.